1. Live with an attitude of humility and love (v. 8)
- Humility – thinking of others before yourself
- Love – sacrificing what is precious to you for the benefit of another
- Unity of mind – mind is set on the same goal
- Sympathy – feeling sympathetic towards someone in need
- Brotherly love – kindred spirit
- Tender – being affectionate or compassionate
- Evil – when someone treats you the wrong way
- Reviling – when someone says wrong things about you
- We must respond like this because Christ responded like this. When we respond in this way God blesses us.
Psalm 141:3 – set a watch…
This was near and dear to Peter’s heart because he knows what it is like to stick your foot in your mouth.
- Evil speaking – harmful or damaging words (throwing verbal rocks through the panes of people’s hearts)
- Deceit – getting what you want though manipulation or trickery
4. Run from sin and run to God
- Run from sin - It is not enough just to take bad habits out of your life. You have to replace them with good habits. It is not enough to not want to sin, you have to run to Christ and desire God.
- Run to God.
Matthew 5:9 – blessed are the peacemakers
“Righteousness is always the basis for peace” – Weirsbe
Truth unites, error divides.
- Seek – to try to obtain something from someone
- Pursue – to do something with intense effort with a definite goal
Posted by Caleb